Tuesday 14 May 2013

Intern Tips.

I've lost count how many times I've been asked how I got my internship at Alexander McQueen. Its pretty straight forward - I applied, got an interview and started. Pretty simple.
I get so frustrated with people saying 'well you don't deserve it' and various other nasty insults - at the end of the day, I've worked very hard to achieve what I have achieved and I believe everyone deserves the same, as long as they work hard for it.
Here is a couple of tips I swear by:

1. Confidence. Don't ever let anyone belittle you, don't take the insults to heart - in the industry there is a huge possibility that tempers are high because of overwhelming deadlines, fashion shows and press - everyone wants to create the defining moment. Its possible (believe me, I've been on the receiving end) that you will get snapped out, shouted at, vented at on a daily basis but just try to remember that you are there for a reason and you ARE helping out, its just that the brand/company want you to work your hardest for yours and their benefit. Be confident in yourself, smile and take it on the chin, I try and think that if I wasn't good enough I wouldn't be here. It's sometimes comforting to know that. If someone praises you, don't be cocky, be gracious.

2. Preparation. Research whoever you work for, get to know the ethos of the company and try and familiarize yourself with the past collections, press campaigns and collaborations. It helps in the long run, and also could help you in the interview, especially if your applying for something in the marketing/PR/archive areas. As an intern in the Archives of McQueen, I spent a lot of time with the past collections, and although I was passionate about McQueen beforehand, I spent evenings watching the show footage, researching the campaigns and themes to boost my knowledge when I was at work.

3. Stand Out. Make sure you are known - be happy and greet everyone (even if you don't get greeted back), offer to make tea or do a coffee run - its amazing how a coffee can cheer up the most tired of pattern cutters! No-one will remember the girl/guy who was quiet and shy in the corner, but they will remember the loud and bright one who rescued those long afternoons with coffee hits. I know making tea is an intern cliché, but someone has got to do it right? I love my clashing prints and bright colours - I don't think I could tone down that for anyone, and my tattoos were always on show - I got some great compliments and I'd like to think that it helped towards my confidence around the staff.

Apply for all the internships you like, and the ones your not keen on - even if you don't get the internship the application process and interview stage can help build skills and make you ready for your future - confidence is key, if you believe in yourself, others shall follow suit.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this post, I forwarded it to a friend. Its so true about confidence, trying to be memorable will help in the future :) Misty

    ReplyDelete